Tuesday 22 September 2009

Review - Pearl Jam: Backspacer


Seems like things change pretty fast in this world - I remember like it was yesterday, some 13 years ago (13.  Good grief.), queuing outside of the music shop in Lichfield waiting for my copy of the latest album from who I thought were the best band in the world at the time.  Now I don't even know there is a new album coming out and only get a listen to the latest Pearl Jam album at work because a colleague has downloaded it and suggested I grab an ear full.

I started losing my faith in the Pearl Jam musical direction during the Binaural period, something just seemed to be going wrong, some horrible MOR elf had worked his clean living, Chevrolet driving, little fingers into the wires between Vedder & the boys brains and the mixing desk.  So my interest waned and I bought not another album from them, only occasionally hearing songs randomly played on other people's playlists - to much disappointment (damn you MOR elf!).

I'm not sure if I'm Backspacer is going to have me virtually queuing at the doors of the itunes store in anticipation for the next album, but it certainly goes some way to patching up the differences the former grunge gods have with my good self.

Harking back somewhat to those 13 years ago and the No Code days, the feel of the start of the album trundles along at quite a pace and has that light punkish sound in the vain of 'Spin the black circle' or 'Satan's bed' with the opening track being a great eye opener and 'The fixer' having a nice hook that I can see Seattle kids (or 30 something English Midlanders) bouncing along to quite happily.

The weakest song on the album for me is 'Johnny Guitar'.  All just a bit Rolling Stones meets Peter Gabriel by way of some twisted Devo for me.  That probably sounds awesome, but it just turns out to be mildly forgettable.

The album takes a turn with a couple of songs that sound like they came off 'Yield' and then back up to good old rock and roll bouncing along in a green army surplus shirt with the nicely guitar driven 'Supersonic'.

In typical fashion the album ends with some thoughtful and introspective Eddy Vedder crooning supported by guitar picking and strings.

I can't say I'm disappointed with the latest offering from my previous bestest band in the whole wide world - which is a good thing.  The album hangs together well and there is only one real boo boo on it.  Problem is that although it had me nodding my head and admitting that it was very good, I was still looking for something to appear that would remind me of the glory days - a 'Corduroy', a 'Nothing man', an 'Indifference'.  One can't of course hope to ever hear anything comparable to any track off 'Ten' - The band could never hope to achieve such heights again even if they sold their souls to Ticketmaster.  One stand out brilliant track would have done though.

Anyway, listenable - even a happiness bringing 9th studio album with toe tapping fun.

6.5/10

1 comments - Click to add yours...:

Unknown said...

I think you nailed it deadcat, but for me, Johnny Guitar aside, it works as a seamless whole, and I don't feel it meanders. Nice to see them loosening up.

Would be good if they could crack on Guided By Voices style and just crank out a new offering every 9-12months.

I give it 7.5